Savory Greek Yogurt Cheesecake with Smoked Salmon
Who says cheesecake has to be sweet? This luscious savory cheesecake studded with smoked salmon calls out for a glass of sparkling wine and a celebration, no matter the day or season!
- Olive oil for brushing the pan
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 ¼ cups grated parmesan or Greek kefalotyri cheese
- 3 tbsp butter melted
- 5 oz. / 150 g. smoked trout smoked salmon trout, or smoked salmon
- 1 pound / ½ kilo cream cheese at room temperature
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp. lemon zest
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup Greek yogurt 200 ml
1. Preheat oven to 350° F /175° C. Lightly grease a spring-form pan.
2. In a medium size bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, ¼ cup Parmesan or Kefalotyri cheese, and melted butter. Press this mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of the buttered pan.
3. Chop the fish.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk the cream cheese t high speed until smooth. Add the remaining Parmesan or kefalotyri, and whisk. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking after each addition. Whisk in the parsley, lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Whisk in the yogurt.
5. Using a spatula, fold the trout or salmon into the mixture and pour it into the prepared pan.
6. Bake in middle of the oven for about 45 minutes, or until set but still a little soft in the middle. Turn off the oven, open the oven door and let the cheesecake rest inside for a half hour. Remove, cool for 15 minutes, and serve.
The cheesecake may also be served chilled.