Pan- Seared Potatoes with Red Wine and Herbs
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 pound new or fingerling potatoes, preferably organic, scrubbed and with skins on
- ⅓ cup extra virgin Greek olive oil
- Coarse sea salt and pepper to taste
- 4 - 6 garlic cloves, peeled and cut into paper-thin slivers
- 2 teaspoons dried sage, whole leaves
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs, broken into 2-inch / 5-cm pieces
- ⅔ cup dry Greek red wine
- In a large, deep frying pan or wide pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the potatoes. Cover the pot or frying pan with a tight-fitting lid. Reduce heat to medium-low and let the potatoes steam in the olive oil for five minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place lid back on the pot or frying pan, and shake the potatoes a few times back and forth over the heat. Cook another five minutes and add the garlic, SAGE and rosemary. Reduce heat to low and cook the potatoes for 10 minutes, shaking back and forth a few times to keep them from burning. Add the wine. Cover the pot again and cook the potatoes until fork tender, about 20 more minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and serve hot.
Greek Food - Greek Cooking - Greek Recipes by Diane Kochilas //www.dianekochilas.com/