Tabouleh with Walnuts, Yogurt, and Herbs
This is a Greek salad inspired from a regional Greek recipe for bulgur-walnut pilaf, which comes from the traditional cuisine of the Black-Sea Greeks (Pontioi). It's a great Greek recipe for Meatless Mondays and more!
- Bulgur Salad with Walnuts and Herbs
- 4 – 6 servings
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup coarse bulgur
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin Greek olive oil
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 scant teaspoon paprika
- Pinch or more of cayenne to taste
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
Place the bulgur and water in a mixing bowl, cover with a kitchen towel, and let stand for two hours, or until the bulgur absorbs all the water.
Mix in the walnuts, olive oil, yogurt, herbs, paprika, cayenne and lemon zest. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve, either at room temperature or chilled.
Bulgur is a great ingredient in summer salad recipes because it requires no cooking, is very versatile, and filling.