Tabouleh with Walnuts, Yogurt, and Herbs
This is a Greek salad inspired from a regional Greek recipe for bulgur-walnut pilaf, which comes from the traditional cuisine of the Black-Sea Greeks (Pontioi). It's a great Greek recipe for Meatless Mondays and more!
- Bulgur Salad with Walnuts and Herbs
- 4 – 6 servings
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup coarse bulgur
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin Greek olive oil
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 scant teaspoon paprika
- Pinch or more of cayenne to taste
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Place the bulgur and water in a mixing bowl, cover with a kitchen towel, and let stand for two hours, or until the bulgur absorbs all the water.
- Mix in the walnuts, olive oil, yogurt, herbs, paprika, cayenne and lemon zest. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve, either at room temperature or chilled.
Bulgur is a great ingredient in summer salad recipes because it requires no cooking, is very versatile, and filling.
Go to my online Greek specialty food shop for a range of traditional and artisanal delicacies from all over Greece.