Chicken with Green Olives and Orange
Easy Greek chicken recipes like this one, with olives and citrus, are perfect for an easy meal any time of the week or year.
- 8 chicken legs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 medium red onions halved and sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup pitted green olives
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a wide shallow pot or deep skillet. Add the chicken carefully, piece by piece, and brown on all sides.
- Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Pour off all but about 1 tablespoon fat from pan. Lower the heat and ad the onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly colored. Add the garlic and stir all together for a minute.
- Add the chicken back to the pot or skillet, season with cumin, pour in the orange and lemon juices and add the olives. Simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the chicken is tender. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove and serve.8 chicken thighs with skin
Go to my online Greek specialty food shop for a range of traditional and artisanal delicacies from all over Greece.