I love this summer recipe and cook it often when peppers are in peak season. It's very versatile. You can serve it over bruschetta, over pasta or rice, or even as an accompaniment or topping to grilled chicken. It's great tossed with grilled shrimp, too! Try dressing it with a little crumbled feta as well. You can find many of the ingredients needed to m ake piperonata on my online store here.
- 2.2 lbs. / 1 kilo assorted peppers green, red, yellow
- 1/2 cup extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 2 large red or yellow onions halved and sliced
- 1 large garlic clove peeled and crushed
- 3-4 tbsp. strong red vinegar
- 1. Rinse and drain the peppers and wipe dry. Cut off the crown and stem. Remove the seeds and veins on the inside. Slice the peppers into strips about 1/2-inch (1.25 cm) wide.
- 2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and wilt the onions over medium heat for approx. 10 minutes, until they start to color very lightly. Add the garlic and stir for a few seconds.
- 3. Stir in the pepper strips. Cook, stirring occasionally, for approx. 20-25 minutes, until soft. Five minutes before removing from heat, add the salt and vinegar. Serve in a bowl, on a small serving plate or on top of toasted bread.