Pasta Tossed with Greek Yogurt and Herbs
Fettucine Alfredo move over. I could easily rename this tangy, healthy pasta dish Fettucini el Greco. To find some of the artisinal Greek products you'll need to make this, visit my online shop here, where you'll discover a host of lovingly curated Greek ingredients.
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 1 large red onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups finely chopped mixed fresh herbs of choice: rosemary parsley, oregano, marjoram, basil, mint, fennel, thyme)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 pound Pasta such as Greek hilopites or fettucine or tagliatele
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- In a medium skillet heat a tablespoon of olive oil over low heat and cook the onions until soft and golden, about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in the garlic.
- Combine the fresh herbs and onions in a mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water and drain, reserving 3 cups of its cooking liquid.
- Toss the pasta with the herb-onion mixture, olive oil, and yogurt. Add enough cooking liquid to make the sauce creamy. Stir in the lemon zest and black pepper. Serve hot.