Mykonos Kremmydopita - Onion-Cheese Pie
This is one of the most traditional and oldest recipes from the island of Mykonos, and one of the Aegean’s most delicious savory pies!
For the dough:
- 1 glass of water 200 ml
- ½ glass 100 ml, extra virgin Greek olive oil
- ½ glass 100 ml, red wine vinegar
- 1 shot glass Greek raki tsipouro or ouzo
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 7 cups all purpose flour
For the Filling:
- 3 cups Mykonos tyrovolia cheese or mashed feta if you need to substitute
- 1 bunch dill snipped
- 12 spring onions trimmed and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large egg
- Place all the liquid in a large mixing bowl. Add the flour in one-cup increments, adding enough to form a dough mass. Knead until smooth and until the sides of the bowl are clean. Set aside covered with a kitchen towel to rest.
- Mix all the ingredients for the filling together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- When the dough has rested and is ready, divide into two balls. Roll out the first ball on a lightly floured surface into a large circle about 18 inches in diameter. Have a 15-inch round pizza pan oiled and ready. Place the dough inside and leave the edges to hang over the perimeter.
- Spread the filling over the surface of the dough. Roll out the next ball and place it on top. Bring the overhanging sides over the top to cover and seal all around. Using a sharp paring knife, cut into serving pieces. Bake in a hot, preheated oven at 350F/170C for about 1 hour to 1 hour and ten minutes. Remove, cool, and serve.