My Big Fat Greek Mess
- 2 cups chilled heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 ½ cups Greek vyssino sour cherry spoon sweet* and/or 2 cups strawberries macerated for 2 hours with 4 - 6 tablespoons of sugar
- 6 premade meringue rounds about 4 inches in diameter, broken up by hand into small chunks
- 2/3 cup toasted blanched almonds
Trim and halve the strawberries. Place in a bowl and sprinkle with sugar. Cover and chill for at least two hours or overnight. Strain out the strawberries and place the juice from the bowl in a small saucepan. Simmer over low heat until reduced by half and syrupy. Set aside and cool.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the whisk attachment at medium-high speed, whisk the heavy cream until it begins to stiffen. Add the sugar and vanilla or almond extract and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Using a spatula, fold the Greek yogurt into the cream.
Assemble the mess: In 6 glass goblets or dessert bowls place a dollop of the cream-yogurt mixture. Place a tablespoon of the sour cherries or a few strawberries on top and drizzle with a little of their respective syrups. Add a few pieces of the broken meringues, then a few toasted almonds, and a little more of the sour cherries/strawberries and their syrup. Continue layering the meringues, cream mixture, sour cherries/strawberries and almonds, finishing with a drizzling of the syrup and a sprinkling of the toasted almonds. Serve immediately.