Mosaico, Carolina’s Rocky Road No-Bake Cake
Mosaico is one of the favorite desserts of childhood, a refrigerator cake filled with biscuits and chocolate that brings back many sweet memories. This version, the creation of my friend and colleague, Carolina Doriti, is perfect for the kid in all of us!
- 1 pound/450 gr tea cookies or “Digestives”
- 7 ½ oz/200 gr powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 shot glass Greek brandy
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- ½ cup unsalted pistachios coarsely chopped, plus more for garnish
- ½ pound/ 250 gr butter
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon orange essence
- 200 ml coconut cream chilled overnight
- 3 drops of orange essence
- 1 Tbsp. powdered sugar
Coarsely crumble the cookies either by hand or by pulsing on and off in a food processor. Melt the butter over low heat. Pour the melted butter over cookies and knead. Add the sugar, cocoa powder, orange zest and orange essence, eggs, pistachios and brandy, and knead all together.
Divide the mixture and on a clean work surface form each half into a long log (about 3 – 4 inches/7-10 cm diameter), wrap in plastic wrap or parchment paper and put in the freezer to set for three hours or overnight.
Pour coconut cream in standing mixer and whip in high until set with a few drops of orange essence and the powdered sugar.
Slice logs, top them with a tsp of coconut cream and sprinkle with chopped pistachio nuts.