Melomakarona-Nut-and-Honey Christmas Cookies with Olive Oil
Olive oil, honey and nuts make these classic melomakarona Greek Christmas cookies one of the healthiest sweets you can enjoy.
- 3 cups extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 1 cup sugar, plus 1 teaspoon
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon soda
- 9 cups all-purpose flour
- For the Syrup
- 2 cups Greek honey
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Juice and 1 strip of zest from 1 large lemon
- 1 ½ to 2 cups (170 to 228 g) finely ground walnuts for sprinkling
- Ground cinnamon for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C and lightly oil several baking sheets.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer outfitted with a whisk, beat the olive oil with 1 cup of sugar at medium-high speed until creamy. Dilute the baking soda in the orange juice. Add the orange juice mixture, and water to the olive oil – sugar mixture. Whisk for 30 seconds. Change the whisk attachment to the paddle attachment and add the flour, in increments of 1 cup, until a soft, malleable dough takes shape. Cover with plastic membrane and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Shape the dough into oblong pieces, about 2 inches (5 cm) long and 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick. Using the tines of a fork, prick the tops lightly to form a decorative pattern.
- Place in an oiled pan, mounded side up, about 2 inches apart, and bake for about 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- While the melomakarona are cooling, make the syrup: Place all the syrup ingredients in a medium size pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Dip the melomakarona in the hot syrup and place on a platter. Sprinkle with cinnamon and finely ground walnuts and serve.
Greek Food - Greek Cooking - Greek Recipes by Diane Kochilas //www.dianekochilas.com/