Eggs Baked in Spicy Tomato Sauce
This recipe makes a great brunch or light dinner dish. There are several traditional Greek recipes for baked eggs, coddled in cooked greens, yogurt, or, like this, in tomato sauce. They are all delicious. To find some of the artisinal Greek products you'll need to make this, visit my online shop here, where you'll discover a host of lovingly curated Greek ingredients.
- Eggs Baked in Chunky Tomato Sauce
- 3 tablespoons Vrisi 36 extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- ½ small fennel bulb finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ cups canned or fresh chopped tomatoes with juices
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ - 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- Pinch of sugar or 1 teaspoon Greek honey
- 2 teaspoons Vrisi 36 Greek balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried Greek oregano
- 4 large eggs preferably organic
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons crumbled Greek feta optional
Preheat the oven to 350F / 170C.
In a large cast-iron skillet or wide, shallow pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and fennel and cook, stirring, until wilted and glistening, about 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for about a minute to soften.
Add the tomatoes. Raise the heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and season with salt and pepper. Add the sugar or honey, oregano, and balsamic. Simmer the sauce for 15 – 20 minutes, or until thick.
Remove from heat. If using a cast-iron skillet, let the sauce cool down a bit, 10 minutes or so. If you cooked the sauce in a pot, you’ll need to have an oven-proof baking dish handy. Oil it and pour in the sauce.
Using a spoon, make 4 clearances in the sauce, holes, basically. Carefully break the eggs, one at a time, into each hole. Place the skillet or baking dish in the oven and bake the eggs until set, about 20 – 25 minutes. Remove, sprinkle with parsley and feta, if desired, and serve.
Want to learn more easy, healthy Mediterranean diet recipes? Sign up for my online course “Mastering the Mediterranean!“