Lettuce Salad with Mango, Shrimp and Teardrop Tomatoes
Filled with good nutrition, this tasty salad can double as a main course, especially after a few days of overindulging, when we need something soothing but light. To find some of the artisinal Greek products you'll need to make this, visit my online shop here, where you'll discover a host of lovingly curated Greek ingredients.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped or grated ginger
- 1 cup cleaned baby shrimp
- 2 heads Bibb or other tender lettuce
- 1 bunch baby arugula
- 1 hothouse or other cucumber preferably organic, cut into thin rounds
- 1 ripe firm avocado, diced
- 1 cup diced mango
- 3 scallions trimmed and chopped
- ½ cup chopped or julienned fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons blanched almond slivers preferably toasted
- 1 cup red cherry or teardrop tomatoes halved
- ½ cup yellow cherry or teardrop tomatoes halved
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons Greek or Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons sherry balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- ½ cup fresh strained orange juice
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small, heavy frying pan over medium heat and add the garlic and ginger. Stir for a minute to soften. Add the shrimp, raise the heat a bit, and sear for a minute or two, or until they turn bright pink. Remove and set aside. Drain off and save the pan juices.
- Tear apart the lettuce and arugula. Rinse and spin dry.
- Place the lettuce, arugula, cucumber slices, mango, avocado, shrimp, scallions, mint, almonds and tomatoes in a serving bowl.
- Whisk together the mustard, shrimp pan juices, vinegar, orange zest and juice, remaining olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Pour the dressing over the salad, toss, and serve.
Go to my online Greek specialty food shop for a range of traditional and artisanal delicacies from all over Greece.