Lentil Salad with Olives, Roasted Red Florina Peppers, and Herbs
You can use green or black olives with equal ease in this satisfying, healthy lentil salad. To find real Greek olive oil, olives, herbs, and more go to my online store here.
- 1 pound/450 g Greek lentils or any small green or brown lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup Greek roasted red Florina peppers drained and chopped
- 1 cup green olives or green olives stuffed with pimentos chopped
- Greek sea salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ cup extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 3 – 4 tablespoons Greek balsamic or Oxymelo vinegar with honey
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley optional
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill optional or
- 1 tablespoon dried Greek oregano or mint optional
- Rinse and drain the lentils. Place in a large pot with the bay leaves and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, skimming the foam off the top, until the lentils are al dente, about 25 minutes. Remove, drain and rinse.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the lentils with the chopped olives and Florina peppers, olive oil, vinegar, and optional herbs. Serve warm, at room temperature or cold.
Go to my online Greek specialty food shop for a range of traditional and artisanal delicacies from all over Greece.