Lentil and Beet Salad with Feta and Lime
SUITABLE SUBSITUTE If you can’t find puy lentils, you can use any other type of lentils: green or brown. HOW TO COOK LENTILS Prepare on a stovetop, using 3 cups of liquid (water, stock, etc) to 1 cup of dry lentils. Be sure to use a large enough pot as the lentils will double (or even triple) in size. Bring to a boil, cover the pot, reduce heat and simmer until the lentils are tender. For most types of lentils, cook time is typically 15-20 minutes. For split red lentils, cook time is typically only about 5-7 minutes. Only season with salt after cooking; otherwise, the lentils will become tough.
- 2 cups of cooked puy lentils
- 4 medium cooked beetroots cut into wedges
- 4 red radishes sliced paper thin
- 1 cup rocket washed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup feta or soft goat’s cheese crumbled
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Greek honey
- 2 tbsp extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 1 lime cut in wedges, for garnish
- Crackers or pita bread cut into squares
Add the lentils and beetroot to a mixing bowl.
Whisk together the dressing ingredients before pouring over the lentils and vegetables in the bowl. Let the dressing steep into the ingredients to marinate them for at least 5 minutes (ideally half an hour if you have the time).
On a large serving tray, plate the arugula, followed by the marinated mix. Top with feta or goat’s cheese. Serve with lime wedges and crackers or pita.