Roasted Apricot Chicken Marinated with Greek Yogurt
An easy, delicious Sunday lunch or weeknight dinner. Greek yogurt helps tenderize the chicken. I sweeten up the apricots with some Greek raisins, too. To find some of the artisinal Greek products you'll need to make this, visit my online shop here, where you'll discover a host of lovingly curated Greek ingredients.
- 1 chicken cut into serving pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin Greek olive oil
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- ½ tsp. paprika
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 1 large red onion halved and sliced
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 8 fresh apricots halved (pits removed)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. raisins
- ½ cup mint leaves julienned (cut into thin strips)
- Preheat oven to 375F/180C.
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken. Season with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Whisk together the yogurt, jam, mustard, vinegar, olive oil, orange juice, and spices. Toss the chicken in this mixture and let stand for 15 minutes at room temperature.
- Transfer the marinated chicken to an oven-proof glass baking dish. Add the cinnamon sticks to the baking pan. Cover with parchment then aluminum foil. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the chicken is almost cooked. Remove the parchment and foil and continue baking until the chicken begins to brown nicely. Spoon the pan juices over it.
- In the meantime, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a heavy, nonstick skillet and cook the onions until lightly caramelized. Season with a little salt at the start of cooking. Add the apricots and raisins when the onions are soft and sprinkle with the sugar. Heat through and gently stir in the mint.
- About 10 minutes before the chicken is ready, add the onion-apricot mixture to the chicken. Continue baking, covered, for about 6-7 minutes, for the flavors to meld.
- Remove from oven, cool slightly and serve.