Pan-Seared Tuna Burger / Green Olive-Yogurt Relish
Fresh tuna is in season in the spring in Greece. These burgers are a delicious alternative to beef!
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh tuna finely chopped or ground in the food processor
- 2 yellow onions finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons polenta or coarse yellow cornmeal
- 1 large egg slightly beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- Olive oil for pan-searing
- For the Green Olive-Yogurt Relish
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoons green olive pate or paste
- Juice of half a lemon
- Pepper to taste
- For garnish: sliced tomatoes raw onion slices and fresh arugula
- In a large, stainless steel mixing bowl, combine the ground tuna, chopped onions, cornmeal or polenta, egg, salt, pepper, and oregano. Let the mixture stand, refrigerated, for 30 minutes.
- Shape into 6 three-inch / 7.5-cm burgers.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a ribbed, nonstick skillet. Place the tuna burgers a few at a time in the hot pan and sear, turning once, until browned on both sides. Cook to desired doneness.
- To make the relish: mix together the yogurt, olive paste, lemon juice and pepper in a small bowl.
- Serve the burgers hot, over pumpernickel, whole wheat, or olive bread, topped or garnished with the tomato slices, onions, and arugula, and with the yogurt-olive relish on the side.
Go to my online Greek specialty food shop for a range of traditional and artisanal delicacies from all over Greece.