Greek Salad Sandwiches w/ Kalamata Olive Paste
Turn an ordinary Greek salad into a surprisingly sating vegetarian sandwich!
- 1-1/2 cups seeded and finely diced cucumber
- 1-1/4 cups seeded and finely diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta
- 4 radishes trimmed and thinly sliced
- 4 – 8 peperoncini seeded and chopped or sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin Greek olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Greek red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried Greek oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 medium 6- to 7-inch whole-wheat or regular pitas, warmed, or 4 large bread rolls or other sandwich breads
- 4 cups lightly packed fresh baby spinach leaves or arugula
- 8 tablespoons Kalamata or green olive tapenade
- In a large bowl, combine the cucumber, tomatoes, feta, and radishes, and peperoncini. Add the olive oil, vinegar, oregano, and a few grinds of pepper and toss to combine. Slice the pitas in half and open the pockets. If using bread rolls, slice open.
- Divide the tapenade among the pitas, spreading it evenly inside each. Stuff each pita half with about 1/2 cup of the spinach or arugula and 1/2 cup of the salad mixture and serve.