Greek Salad Sandwiches w/ Kalamata Olive Paste
Turn an ordinary Greek salad into a surprisingly sating vegetarian sandwich!
- 1-1/2 cups seeded and finely diced cucumber
- 1-1/4 cups seeded and finely diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta
- 4 radishes trimmed and thinly sliced
- 4 – 8 peperoncini seeded and chopped or sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin Greek olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Greek red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried Greek oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 medium 6- to 7-inch whole-wheat or regular pitas, warmed, or 4 large bread rolls or other sandwich breads
- 4 cups lightly packed fresh baby spinach leaves or arugula
- 8 tablespoons Kalamata or green olive tapenade
In a large bowl, combine the cucumber, tomatoes, feta, and radishes, and peperoncini. Add the olive oil, vinegar, oregano, and a few grinds of pepper and toss to combine. Slice the pitas in half and open the pockets. If using bread rolls, slice open.
Divide the tapenade among the pitas, spreading it evenly inside each. Stuff each pita half with about 1/2 cup of the spinach or arugula and 1/2 cup of the salad mixture and serve.