Grecamole Ouzo Seared Shrimp Wrap
Avocados have one over Greek cooking and become a part of the Mediterranean Diet. This Greek recipe is definitely a hybrid, one inspired by all the wonderful Mexican cooks I have worked with in kitchens all over the U.S. I like to call this one small paean to “Grecque-Mex” cuisine!
- 2 pita rounds or other thin flatbread for wrapping
For the Grecamole
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 large plum tomato finely diced
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon Greek dried oregano
- 1 small fresh green or red chile pepper chopped (or less or more, to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh strained lemon juice
- Salt pepper to taste
- Smoked Greek sea salt to finish
Combine all the ingredients for the grecamole and set aside. You can make this a day ahead.
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet and stir the garlic around for about 30 seconds. Add the cleaned large shrimp and raise heat to medium-high. Sear the shrimp until it begins to turn bright pink. Slide the skillet off the heat and carefully add the ouzo. Place it back on heat and cook for a few minutes until the alcohol cooks off. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
To assemble the sandwiches: spread the grecamole evenly over the surface of the two flatbread rounds. Place arugula on top and add the shrimp and any pan juices. Wrap and secure closed with parchment or wax paper.