Fennel Slaw with Honey-Mastiha Dressing
A delicious salad that stands up to great barbecued meats and more.
- 2 large fennel bulbs trimmed and cut into thin slices
- 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. Greek honey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. mastiha ground with ½ tsp. salt in a mortar with a pestle
- 1/3 cup extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 4 tbsp. hazelnuts lightly toasted
- 4 tbsp. good quality blue cheese Roquefort or Greek kopanisti cheese
As you slice the fennel, place the pieces in a bowl filled with ice water to crisp for 5 minutes. Strain and pat dry with a clean kitchen towel. Transfer to a serving bowl.
Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, honey, salt, pepper and mastiha until a unified emulsion forms.
Garnish the fennel slices with the toasted hazelnuts and blue cheese and pour in the dressing. Serve.
Note: You can add a few chopped fennel fronds to the salad, too.