Spicy Cuttlefish with Olives and Wild Greens
- 3 pounds / 1.5 k cuttlefish cleaned
- 3 pounds / 1 k chicory escarole, or Greek stamnagathi greens, trimmed
- 1 ½ - 2 cups Kalamata olives whole in red wine vinegar
- 3-4 whole red chile peppers
- Ink from 3 cuttlefish if available
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh juice from yellow tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh tomato juice from red tomatoes
- 1 cup extra virgin Greek olive oil
- Black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F/170C.
- Cut cuttlefish in chunks. Place in a clay pot. Add garlic, chilies, ink, olives with a tablespoon or two of their brine, olive oil, and tomato juices. Stir gently to combine.
- Cover and bake for about 45 minutes. Remove from oven, add the greens and stir. Cover and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Remove, cool slightly, and serve.
How to Cure Kalamata Olives
Wash and score the olives in 3 places using a sharp paring knife.
Prepare a 10% salt brine: For every 10 cups of water, for example, you will need 1 cup of salt.
Place the brine and olives in a large jug or jar, the lid for which closes tightly. Let the olives sit in the brine for two weeks.