Classic Greek Salad with a Twist
The classic recipe for a Greek salad calls for everything listed below, plus feta. In this version, made together with ultra marathoner Dean Karnazes when we met, ran and filmed in Messinia, in the southern Peloponnese, I leave out the feta but get plenty of healthy calcium from the addition of sesame seeds.
- 3 beefsteak or other great in-season tomatoes cored and coarsely chopped
- 2 crunchy cucumbers cut into ¼-inch slices or half moons
- 2 green bell peppers seeded and cut into either rings or strips
- 2 - 3 cups baby arugula rinsed and drained
- 1 cup trimmed purslane
- Greek sea salt to taste
- Kalamata or other Greek olives as desired
- 1 teaspoon raw or toasted sesame seeds
- Extra virgin Messinian or other Greek olive oil to taste
Combine all the vegetables in a large mixing bowl. Season to taste with salt.
Sprinkle with olives, as desired. Pour in as much as olive oil as desired.