Button Mushrooms in Red Wine with a Touch of Cayenne
Mushrooms are always an elegant addition to the table, no matter the occasion. This makes a great side dish to festive and everyday main courses. You could even serve them over Greek fava, for something extra special.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 1 medium red onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 8 cups small or medium button mushrooms trimmed and whole
- 2/3 cup dry red wine preferably Greek, such as an Agiorgitiko or Xinomavro
- 2 fresh or dried bay leaves
- 2 sprigs dried Greek oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of cayenne or to taste
- In a wide, deep frying pan or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat and cook the onion until wilted and lightly browned, about 12 – 15 minutes. Stir in the garlic.
- Add the mushrooms, stir to coat in the oil and combine with the onion-garlic mixture. Raise the heat and pour in the wine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and add the herbs, salt, pepper and cayenne. Cover and simmer for about 10 – 12 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender. If there is too much liquid in the pan, stir in a tablespoon of tomato paste about 5 minutes before removing from heat. Remove the bay leaves and oregano sprigs and serve.