Baked Apples Stuffed with Halva
This Thessaloniki classic dessert is easy but also makes for an artful, dramatic presentation.
- 6 Golden Delicious apples
- 6 generous tsp. unsalted butter
- 100 gr. (3 ounces) tahini-based halvah (sold in blocks)
- Ground cinnamon and fresh mint leaves for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 175C /350F. Cut off the and reserve the apple crowns. Core the fruit and scoop out a hole about 4 cm (1 ½ inch) wide and deep.
- Rub the inside of each apple with half a teaspoon of the butter. Crumble the halvah with your fingertips and place equal amounts inside each of the apples, mounding the halvah decoratively. Place the tops back on the apples and place the apples in a baking dish. Melt the remaining butter and drizzle over the fruit.
- Bake, uncovered, until the apples are tender, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool slightly, and serve, sprinkled with a bit of cinnamon and garnished with a mint leaf.