Aromatic Eggplant Braised with Tomatoes & Trahana
- ½ cup extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 heaping teaspoon garlic puree
- 1 large eggplant trimmed and cut into chunks
- 2 cups chopped plum tomatoes
- Water as needed
- 1 – 2 bay leaves to taste
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried Greek oregano
- ½ to 2/3 cup sour trahana
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium in a wide, deep skillet or shallow pot and cook the onion until soft and lightly browned, about 8 to 10 minutes. Swirl in the garlic.
Add the eggplant, lower the heat and cover to steam in the olive oil and soften, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Pour in the tomatoes and add the bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Season to taste with sea salt. Cook for about 8 to 10 minutes until the eggplant is tender.
Add about 1 ½ cups of hot water or stock to the pot, bring to a quick simmer and add the trahana. Stir, lower the heat, and cook, uncovered, until the trahana is tender, about 10 more minutes. Adjust seasoning, stir in the parsley and serve.