Warm Spanakopita Dip
The basic filling for spanakopita has so many different variations and uses, it’s really one of the most timeless and versatile Greek preparations. This dip is just the tip of the iceberg!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil plus more for baking dish
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 leek trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 pounds / 1 kilo spinach cleaned, trimmed, and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped dill
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 ounces (175 g) cream cheese
- 3 dashes hot sauce such as Tabasco
- 3/4 cup grated PDO feta
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Baguette slices breadsticks, or crackers, for serving
Preheat oven to 425/ 220 °C degrees. In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat oil over medium. Add onion, leek and garlic; cook until lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add spinach in two additions, letting the first batch wilt before adding the next; cook until completely wilted, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a colander; drain, pressing to release all excess liquid. Mix the dill into the spinach.
- In the same pot, warm milk over high heat. Whisk in cream cheese until melted, about 3 minutes. Add spinach, hot sauce, and 1/4 cup of the feta; stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into a lightly oiled 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish; sprinkle with remaining feta and mozzarella.
- Bake until bubbly and golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot with accompaniments, as desired.