Spiced Walnut Cake with Vanilla Ice Cream
This Greek recipe for karidopita, aka spiced walnut cake, is one of the most classic Greek desserts. Serve it with ice cream for an extra special treat.
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup Greek honey
- 1 cup water
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 ½ cups finely ground walnuts
- ¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs
- ¼ cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 5 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 egg separated, plus 2 whites
- ¼ cup milk
- Ground walnuts for garnish
- Vanilla ice cream for serving
- Simmer syrup ingredients over medium heat for 5 minutes. Strain and cool.
- Stir together walnuts, breadcrumbs, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, and orange rind.
- Beat butter and sugar at high speed until fluffy. Add 1 egg yolk at a time and beat after each addition. Beat in half the nut mixture and enough to keep the mixture moist.
- Whip the egg whites to firm peaks. Fold egg whites and remaining nut mixture into batter. Pour into a buttered 25 cm (10-inch) springform pan. Bake in preheated oven at 180°C (350°F) for about 40 minutes, or until set.
- Remove pan from oven and place on a wire rack. Pour the cool syrup over the hot cake, cover it with a cloth and let it cool in pan.
- Cut into diamonds or wedges, garnish with additional walnuts and serve with vanilla ice cream.