Spanakopita Grilled Cheese
The "Lazy" way to make a delicious healthy treat with no work! To find some of the artisinal Greek products you'll need to make this, visit my online shop, where you'll discover a host of lovingly curated Greek ingredients.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin Greek olive oil or butter
- 1 large onion or 4 scallions, or 1 leek, trimmed and chopped
- 8 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup fresh chopped dill parsley, and/or fennel fronds, combined
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 cups Greek feta broken up into large chunks
- 8 slices good bread preferably sourdough
- Heat half the olive oil and sauté the onion, scallions or leek until soft and lightly golden. Add the spinach and cook until wilted. Remove the mixture with a slotted spoon and drain well in a colander. Cool.
- Combine the spinach mixture with the fresh herbs. Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg, Mix in the feta.
- Spread the mixture onto 4 1/4-inch-thick slices of good bread. Place the remaining four slices of bread on top.
- Heat a cast-iron or nonstick frying pan and add the butter or olive oil (you can use both. together). Add the sandwiches, one or two at a time, and cook over medium heat on until golden on one side. Flip carefully to cook on the other side, pressing down with a spatula. Cover the pan for a few minutes to help the feta melt more easily. Repeat with remaining sandwiches, replenishing the olive oil and/or butter as needed.