Shaved Brussel Sprouts Salad with Greek Flavors
I love everything in the cruciferous cabbage family, but I think I love Brussel sprouts most, especially when paired with pomegranate and nuts. This Greek recipe bursts with flavor and is the perfect Mediterranean Diet addition to festive and everyday tables. I love this on Thanksgiving, but I enjoy it all winter long, too. Make sure to use great extra virgin Greek olive oil for the best results! You can find the currants, sea salt, olive oil and pistachios needed for this recipe here.
- 2 pounds / 1 kilo Brussels sprouts halved and thinly sliced (about 8 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds or Aegina pistachios
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/3 cup Corinthian currants
- Shaved Kefalotyri or Parmesan for serving
In a medium bowl, whisk olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, salt, and pepper to taste until combined and smooth.
Add Brussels sprouts and toss until completely coated.
Let sit, tossing occasionally, for at least 20 minutes and up to 4 hours before serving.
Just before serving, stir in the nuts, pomegranate seeds and currants. Garnish with shaved cheese and serve.