Summer Pasta Salad with Olives, Greek Kasseri Cheese & Tomatoes
- 1 pound/450 g rigatoni or fusilli
- Greek sea salt
- 8 tablespoons/120 ml extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ cups trimmed diced Greek or other salami,
- 2 cups kasseri aged kasseri, or manouri cheese, cut into ½-inch/1 ½-cm cubes
- 2 tablespoons Greek capers drained
- 3 tablespoons pitted chopped green or black Greek olives or mixed olives
- 8 fresh cherry or sun-dried tomatoes drained and coarsely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons dried Greek oregano
Cook the pasta in salted water according to package directions. Drain. Toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
In a medium skillet over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic until soft, about 7 minutes.
Have all the remaining ingredients ready. In a large mixing bowl, combine the pasta with the sautéed onion and garlic, the diced salami, cheese, capers, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, pepper and oregano. Add remaining olive oil and toss. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
Here's a last-minute pasta salad with a Greek touch. If you can't find Kasseri or Manouri cheeses, try any mild sheep's milk cheese in place of the Kasseri, or a ricotta salata in place of the Manouri.