Snails in the Skillet with Olive Oil, Vinegar and Rosemary (Hohlioi Boubouristoi)
- 1 1/2 pounds / 750 gr large snails membrane removed and washed well
- 2 – 3 tablespoons salt
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup strong red wine vinegar
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1. In a large, heavy nonstick skillet spread 2-3 tablespoons salt evenly over the surface. Heat over medium flame.
- 2. Place the snails, open side down, over the salt. As soon as the snails stop sizzling, add the olive oil and stir for about 3-5 minutes.
- 3. Pour in the vinegar and add the rosemary sprigs. Cover the skillet and cook another three or four minutes, over low heat. Remove and serve piping hot in a deep bowl, with all the pan juices.
How to clean snails:
Scrape the shells clean. Using a sharp paring knife, remove and discard the thin membrane covering the snail's opening. Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil and blanch the snails for two or three minutes. Remove and rinse well. Proceed as directed in individual recipes. Blanching them helps rid them of their thick saliva.