Beet, Walnut & Yogurt Salad
One of the favorite trios of ingredients in the whole Greek kitchen.
- 2 pounds 1 kilo beetroots, trimmed and scrubbed
- 2-3 garlic small cloves crushed
- 1 cup Greek strained yogurt
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup extra virgin Greek olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar or Greek sweet vinegar glykadi
- 1. Bring the beetroots to a boil over medium heat in a large pot of lightly salted water. Simmer for about 35-40 minutes, or until fork tender. Remove, drain, and rinse. Peel the beet roots and cut into 1-inch (2/5 cm) cubes.
- 2. While the beetroots are boiling, toss the walnuts in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until lightly toasted. Remove, set aside to cool slightly and chop or pulverize in a food processor until coarsely ground.
- 3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, yogurt, and garlic. Add a little salt to taste. Whisking all the while, dilute the dressing with about 2-3 tablespoons of water. Mix in the walnuts.
- 4. Pour the dressing over the beets, adjust seasoning with salt and serve. The salad may be served either at room temperature or chilled.