Raw Zucchini Salad w/ Mastiha Oil & Cretan Graviera Cheese
There is something irresistible about the light, sparkling clean flavor of raw zucchini, which acts as the perfect foil for buttery sheep’s milk cheese and intoxicating Mastiha.
- 2 medium very firm, ripe zucchini
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil or Mastiha-scented olive oil* See Note
- 3 Tbsp. fresh strained lemon juice or more to taste
- 2 drops Mastiha essential oil**
- 1 Tbsp. fresh marjoram or oregano leaves whole or chopped
- Grated zest of 1 lime optional
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6- ounces 180 gr. sharp Greek Cretan kefalograviera or graviera cheese, shaved***
- * / ** Mastiha-scented olive oil and Mastiha essential oil are both available from the MastihaShop on Orchard Street in NYC by mail order, too. If using the Mastiha-scented olive oil, you don’t need to also add the mastiha essential oil.
- *** Greek cheeses are available by mail order from Titan Foods in Astoria. You can also find the main Greek cheeses in gourmet supermarkets all over the United States and Europe.
- 1. Wash the zucchini well and trim off the ends. Scrub the outside of the zucchini under cold running water and trim off the ends. Using a mandolin or food processor, cut the zucchini lengthwise into paper-thin slices.
- 2. Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, Mastiha essential oil (if using; see Note), marjoram or oregano, lime zest, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
- 3. Arrange the zucchini in overlapping slices on a large platter. Drizzle with the dressing. Let stand for 30 minutes to 1 hour to marinate.
- 4. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the kefalograviera or graviera into thin strips and place them decoratively over the zucchini. Serve immediately.