Raw Zucchini Salad w/ Mastiha Oil & Cretan Graviera Cheese
There is something irresistible about the light, sparkling clean flavor of raw zucchini, which acts as the perfect foil for buttery sheep’s milk cheese and intoxicating Mastiha.
- 2 medium very firm, ripe zucchini
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil or Mastiha-scented olive oil* See Note
- 3 Tbsp. fresh strained lemon juice or more to taste
- 2 drops Mastiha essential oil**
- 1 Tbsp. fresh marjoram or oregano leaves whole or chopped
- Grated zest of 1 lime optional
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6- ounces 180 gr. sharp Greek Cretan kefalograviera or graviera cheese, shaved***
- * / ** Mastiha-scented olive oil and Mastiha essential oil are both available from the MastihaShop on Orchard Street in NYC by mail order, too. If using the Mastiha-scented olive oil, you don’t need to also add the mastiha essential oil.
- *** Greek cheeses are available by mail order from Titan Foods in Astoria. You can also find the main Greek cheeses in gourmet supermarkets all over the United States and Europe.
1. Wash the zucchini well and trim off the ends. Scrub the outside of the zucchini under cold running water and trim off the ends. Using a mandolin or food processor, cut the zucchini lengthwise into paper-thin slices.
2. Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, Mastiha essential oil (if using; see Note), marjoram or oregano, lime zest, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
3. Arrange the zucchini in overlapping slices on a large platter. Drizzle with the dressing. Let stand for 30 minutes to 1 hour to marinate.
4. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the kefalograviera or graviera into thin strips and place them decoratively over the zucchini. Serve immediately.
Want to learn more easy, healthy Mediterranean diet recipes? Sign up for my online course “Mastering the Mediterranean!“