Penne with Grilled Eggplant and Halloumi
This is an easy, summery dish that cooks up in no time and has universal appeal!
- 1 (1-pound / 450-eggplant trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 8 to 10 fresh plum tomatoes halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil or more to toss with pasta
- 1 pound / ½ kilo penne or rigatoni
- 8 ounces / 240 g Halloumi cut into 1/z-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/3 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- Salt and freshly ground black
- pepper to taste
Toss the eggplant slices and tomato halves with 1/4 cup olive oil.
Place the tomatoes on the grill cut side up over direct heat, and grill for 4 to 6 minutes. until the skins begin to char. Turn and continue grilling for another 1to 2 minutes. Grill the eggplant slices over indirect heat for 6 to 7 minutes. turning, until tender and browned. Remove.
Cut the tomatoes into 1-inch pieces. Cut the eggplant slices into quarters. Set aside. Covered, to keep warm.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil and boil the pasta until al dente. Remove and drain. Add the vegetables to the hot pasta together with the remaining olive oil, halloumi, herbs, garlic, and salt and pepper. Serve immediately.