Naxos Potato Salad
Naxos potatoes are one of the most renowned vegetables in Greece, relatively small in size and firm-fleshed.
- Naxos Potato Salad
- 2 POUNDS / 1 kilo Naxos potatoes peeled
- 3 firm ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into 3-cm (1 1/8-inch) pieces
- 2 large onions peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil or more to taste
- 2 – 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar or to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ tsp. dried oregano
- 4 – 6 salted sardine fillets rinsed
- 1. Place the potatoes in a large pot of cold water and bring to a boil. Salt generously. Reduce heat to medium and simmer the potatoes until they are fork tender. Drain and rinse immediately under cold water. Cut the potatoes into 3-cm (1 1/8-inch) rounds and place in a large salad bowl. Add the tomatoes and onions.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and oregano. Reserve a few tablespoons of the dressing, pour the rest over the potato salad and toss gently to combine. To serve, place the sardine fillets decoratively on top of the potato salad and drizzle with the reserved dressing. Serve immediately.
Go to my online Greek specialty food shop for a range of traditional and artisanal delicacies from all over Greece.