Messy Orange Pie
There really is something intoxicating about the combination of oranges, phyllo, yogurt and syrup! Think of this as a kind of bread pudding, but made with torn up phyllo instead of stale bread. To find some of the artisinal Greek products you'll need to make this, visit my online shop here, where you'll discover a host of lovingly curated Greek ingredients.
- FOR SYRUP
- 1 ½ c sugar
- 2 c water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 strip orange zest
- FOR THE PIE
- Butter for baking dish
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces / 224 g unsalted butter melted
- Grated zest from 2 oranges
- 1 pound commercial #7 phyllo defrosted and at room temperature
- Syrup: Boil sugar and water until dissolved. Add cinnamon stick and orange zest. Simmer for 10 minutes to form a thin syrup.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Butter a 13 X 9 in baking dish (glass).
- Whisk together the yogurt, sugar, eggs and orange juice until creamy. Add the vanilla, grated zest and melted butter.
- Tear the phyllo into irregular pieces about 2 inches long by 1 inch wide.
- In a large bowl, mix together the yogurt mixture and torn phyllo. Separate any pieces that are stuck together.
- Spread mixture into buttered pan. Bake until puffed and golden, 35 to 40 minutes. Pour cooled syrup over the baked phyllo. Let sit for a few minutes or up to an hour to absorb the syrup. Cut and serve.