Linguine with Arugula, Chilli Peppers, Anchovies & Greek Olive Oil
- Linguine with Arugula Chili Peppers, and Anchovies
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 1 fresh red or green chili pepper seeded and sliced into thin rounds or 1 – 2 teaspoons hot pepper flakes or Greek boukovo
- 2 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound linguine regular or whole wheat
- 2 bunches fresh baby arugula trimmed
- ½ cup anchovy fillets in brine or olive oil rinsed and drained, or 1 cup filleted Greek “gavros” xidatos (Greek anchovies in brine) or Spanish boccherones
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a small, heavy frying pan over medium-low heat and cook the garlic and chili pepper until soft, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil and add a tablespoon of salt. Cook the pasta to al dente and drain, reserving 4 tablespoons of the cooking liquid.
- While the pasta is boiling, rough-chop the anchovies.
- Combine the steaming hot pasta, remaining olive oil, oil-garlic-chili-pepper combination, arugula and anchovies. Add the lemon zest, adjust seasoning with additional salt, pepper and pepper flakes and serve.
Go to my online Greek specialty food shop for a range of traditional and artisanal delicacies from all over Greece.