Grilled Eggplant-Feta Terrines
Eggplants get an elegant dressing up in this easy, tasty terrine. For a lovingly curated array of dried herbs, olive oils, and other Greek ingredients to pair with this recipe, check out my online store here.
- Grilled Eggplant Terrines with Tomatoes and Feta
- This is a simple elegant dish that can be served as a light main course together with a salad or some pasta, or as a starter.
- For 6 servings
- 3 medium eggplants cut into 18 1/2-inch rounds
- Olive oil for brushing plus 2 tablespoons for diluting the pesto, optional
- Salt and pepper
- 3 medium firm ripe tomatoes, cut into 4 rounds each
- 12 three-inch-square slices of feta cheese about a quarter inch thick, preferably the tinned variety, which is firmer, or 12 ½-inch slices of mozzarella
- 12 large fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup good-quality commercial pesto optional
- Prepare the grill according to individual unit instructions. Adjust heat to medium. Brush the grill rack with a little oil. Brush the eggplant slices on both sides with about half a teaspoon per side of olive oil. Place on the grill, directly over the heat, and grill for about six minutes total, turning once with a spatula to cook on both sides. Remove and set aside.
- Brush the tomato slices with olive oil and a little salt and pepper and place on the grill carefully. Grill for about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove and set aside. Turn off the grill.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180C). Oil the bottom and sides of six terrines, approximately three or four inches each in diameter. Fill each terrine in the following order: Place an eggplant slice, a tomato slice, a basil leaf and then the feta or mozzarella, repeat, and top with an eggplant slice. Press down lightly to fit into the terrines without being piled higher than the rim. Bake until the cheese melts, about 12-15 minutes. To serve, flip and turn out each terrine on a medium size plate. Drizzle with additional olive oil, if desired, or with the pesto sauce, diluted with a little olive oil.
Go to my online Greek specialty food shop for a range of traditional and artisanal delicacies from all over Greece.