Egg Salad Sandwich Pita Wrap with Greek Yogurt and Avocado
I love a great egg salad sandwich! This one, mixed with ripe avocado, extra virgin Greek olive oil, Greek yogurt, and herbs, and served either as a sandwich on whole grain bread or nestled in a classic pita wrap makes for an easy breakfast, brunch, lunch or quick dinner option, a brown-bag gem, and a perfect way to use leftover hard boiled eggs. Egg salads are a deli classic but this one ups the ante by uniting an American classic with Mediterranean diet ingredients! Enjoy.
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 2 - 4 tablespoons extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 3 heaping tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1 heaping teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 scallion chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped dill
- 1 scant teaspoon dried Greek oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 scant teaspoon dried thyme
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 a lemon
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch Greek saffron (krokos Kozanis) softened in a tablespoon of warm water
- 2 - 4 lettuce leaves or a handful of arugula
- 2 Greek pita or tortilla wraps, or 4 slices whole grain bread
Mash the eggs, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the ripe avocado pulp, scallion and dill. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Mix until smooth the Greek yogurt, mustard, turmeric, saffron and its water, lemon zest, and dried herbs. Season to taste.
Mix all but 2 tablespoons of the yogurt mixture into the egg mixture. Reserve the remaining yogurt mixture to spread on the sandwich bread or wrap
Spoon into the pita or tortilla wraps or over two slices of bread. Top with a little lettuce or arugula, and serve. ,
Want to learn more easy, healthy Mediterranean diet recipes? Sign up for my online course “Mastering the Mediterranean!“