Cretan Chick Pea Soup with Cod
Although this soup is traditionally made in and around Rethymnon on the feast day of St. Eleftherios, on December 15th, it's wonderful any time of the year, and especially in cold weather.
- 750 gr 26.5oz cod fillet, cut into strips of 5x10cm (2×4 inches)
- 1/2 kilo 17.5oz chick peas, soaked overnight
- 2/3-1 cup extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 2 medium-sized onions cut in half and then into thin slices
- 4-5 large ripe tomatoes peeled, seeded and cut in cubes or 3 cups finely chopped, canned tomatoes
- Juice of a lemon
- 1/2 bunch finely chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
Place the soaked chick peas in a pan with enough water to cover them by 2cm (0.8 inch). Allow them to come to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 50 minutes to an hour, skimming the froth off the surface.
In a medium frying pan heat 1/3 cup olive oil and sauté the onions for 7-8 minutes.
Add the onions and tomato to the chick peas. Season and simmer until they are very soft, approx. 1- 11/2 hours.
Twenty minutes before you remove from the heat add the cod.
Add the rest of the oil and juice of a lemon during the 5 final minutes. Garnish with the parsley.