Arugula-Kiwi Salad w/ Hazelnuts and Manouri Cheese
Manouri, which I suggest for this salad, is a mild, creamy Greek sheep's milk cheese similar to ricotta salata.
- 4 Tbsp. hazelnuts
- 4 cups fresh arugula trimmed and torn into large pieces
- 1 large onion very thinly sliced
- 4 kiwis peeled and cut into thin oval slices
- 2 2- cm 3/4-inch thick rounds of manouri cheese
- For the Dressing
- 4 Tbsp. extra-virgin Greek olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. northern Greek balsamic vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 3 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp. northern Greek honey
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Paprika for garnish
In a dry, nonstick skillet, lightly toast the hazelnuts over medium heat, stirring so as not to burn. Remove from skillet and chop. Set aside.
Toss the arugula and onions together.
Whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing. Toss the arugula-onion mixture with half the dressing.
Wipe the skillet clean, brush with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Heat over medium flame. Place the first manouri round in the skillet and toast until lightly browned around the edges. Flip to brown lightly on the other side, too. Remove with a spatula to a plate and cover to keep warm. Repeat with next slice.
Place the salad on individual plates, pressing the mixture lightly into a ring mold in the center of four plates. Cut each manouri slice into four pieces and place two on top of each salad. Garnish the salad all around with kiwi slices. Pour over remaining dressing and sprinkle the plate with a little paprika. Serve.