Sea Bass with Mushrooms and Xinomavro Red Wine
- 1 pound / 450 g mixed mushrooms: button mushrooms, Portobello, dried chanterelles
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2/3 cup dry Greek red wine, such as Xinomavro
- Salt, freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Greek balsamic
- 4 sea bass fillets, skin on
- 3 tablespoons snipped chives
- Wipe all the mushrooms clean. Slice the button mushrooms and the portobellos. Place the dried chanterelles in enough warm water just to cover and rehydrate.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large, deep frying pan and cook the onion until soft and lightly colored. Stir in the garlic. Add button and Portobello mushrooms. Drain the chanterelles and reserve their liquid. Add the chanterelles to the frying pan. Stir gently all together, cover and cook over low heat for five minutes, to wilt the mushrooms.
- Add the red wine, raise heat a little to medium, and bring to a simmer. Add the thyme. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Add the tomato paste and balsamic. Cook for five minutes. Pour the chanterelle water into the frying pan, straining it through a fine mesh sieve. Stir gently.
- Lightly season the fish fillets and place skin side up over the mushroom mixture. Cover and cook for about 7 minutes, until fork tender. Sprinkle the chopped chives over the contents of the pan and serve.
Greek Food - Greek Cooking - Greek Recipes by Diane Kochilas http://www.dianekochilas.com/