Shrimp Saganaki with Ouzo and Feta
I can honestly say I've nevermet a soul who didn't love this Greek taverna classic. It's super easy to make at home, too. Look for the olive oil, tomatoes and herbs used to make it on my online store here.
- 2 ½ pounds/1.12 kilos shrimp cleaned but heads and tails attached
- ½ cup extra-virgin Greek olive oil
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 1 hot green pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 cups grated fresh tomatoes canned are fine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ pound/225 g. Greek feta cheese cubed
- 3 Tbsp. ouzo if desired
- 3 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. Heat the olive oil in a skillet and sauté the onion and the hot pepper until wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and simmer the sauce for 5 minutes, until it thickens slightly.
2. Add the shrimp and feta cheese, and simmer over medium heat until the shrimp turn bright pink and the feta begins to melt, about 5 minutes. About 2 minutes before removing from heat add the ouzo, if desired. Toss in the parsley and serve.