Roasted Cauliflower and Potatoes with Tomatoes and Onions
One of the great strengths of Greek island cooking is its wealth of unusual vegetable dishes. Even banal winter vegetables such as cauliflower and potatoes are turned into tasty meals with the help of great olive oil and local tomatoes. To find some of the artisinal Greek products you'll need to make this, visit my online shop here , where you'll discover a host of lovingly curated Greek ingredients.
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil or more, as needed
- 3 large onions coarsely chopped
- 1 cauliflower about 1 kilo (2 lbs.) , trimmed and cut into 3-cm (about 1 1/4 - inch) florets
- ½ kilo 1 lb. potatoes, peeled and cut into 3-cm (1 1/4-inch) cubes
- 1 ½ cups chopped tomatoes with their juices
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat ½ cup olive oil in a large, heavy skillet and sauté the onions until soft. Remove.
Preheat oven to 350˚F / 180˚C.
Oil a large roasting pan and toss the cauliflower, potatoes, onions, and tomatoes together in the pan, spreading the mixture evenly. Add remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Roast the vegetables for about 1 hour, or until the cauliflower and potatoes are tender.
Remove, cool slightly, and serve.