Lentil Soup with Kalamata Olive Paste, Roasted Red Peppers, and Olive Oil / Fakes me Pate Elias kai Piperies Florinis
- 450 g Greek lentils rinsed and drained
- 1 cup extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp. Kalamata olive paste
- 2 – 3 roasted red Florina peppers in brine drained, rinsed, and cut into thin, small strips
- Greek sea salt to taste
- Greek balsamic or red wine vinegar to taste
- 1. Heat half the olive oil in a large, wide pot and saute the onions and garlic with a pinch of sea salt until they begin to color. Add the lentils and toss to coat in the oil. Pour in 2 liters of water and add the bay leaves.
- 2. Bring the lentil soup to a boil over medium heat, reduce to a simmer and cook until tender, about 35 to 40 minutes. 10 minutes before removing the soup from the heat, stir in the Kalamata olive paste and add the pepper strips. Adjust seasoning with additional salt. Serve the soup hot, adding the remaining extra virgin olive oil and vinegar to taste.