CHICKPEA - AVOCADO HUMMUS
PERFECT HUMMUS EVERY TIME! Did you know that blending your chickpeas when they’re still hot (right after they’re cooked or reheated canned ones) results in a light and fluffy mix, ready to absorb tahini, olive oil, and spices? Maybe the best tip for consistently good hummus is adding excellent tahini. The rich and complex flavor of an excellent quality tahini makes all the difference in texture and flavor.
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups of cooked chickpeas or a 15-oz can chickpeas drained (reserve some for serving, if desired)
- 2 medium ripe avocados roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp tahini
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper plus more if desired
- Juice from ½ lime or lemon plus more if desired
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin Greek olive oil plus more if desired
- 1/4 of red bell pepper diced (optional)
- 1/4 of an avocado roughly chopped for serving (optional)
In a large food processor fitted with a blade, add the hummus ingredients (garlic, chickpeas, avocados, tahini, olive oil, cumin, cayenne, and lime or lemon juice. Run the food processor to blend until the hummus mixture is smooth.
Test, and if it's too thick, drizzle in more olive oil or a little water or additional lime or lemon juice. Run the processor again until you achieve the desired creamy consistency. Adjust seasoning as needed.
Transfer the avocado hummus to a serving dish and cover it tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for a few minutes before serving. Uncover and drizzle a bit of extra virgin olive oil. Garnish with a few whole chickpeas, red pepper and avocado, or an herb of choice if you like.