- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup Greek honey
- 1 cup water
- 4 cloves
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 ½ cups finely ground walnuts
- ¾ cup plain dry bread crumbs
- ¼ cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 5 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 egg, separated, plus 2 whites
- ¼ cup milk
- Simmer syrup ingredients over medium heat for 5 minutes. Strain and cool.
- Stir together walnuts, crumbs, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, and orange rind.
- Beat butter and sugar at high speed until fluffy. Add 1 egg yolk at a time and beat after each addition. Beat in half the nut mixture and enough to keep the mixture moist.
- Whip the egg whites to firm peaks. Fold egg whites and remaining nut mixture into batter. Pour into a buttered 22,5 or 25 cm (9 – 10 inch) springform pan. Bake in preheated oven at 180°C (350°F)for about 40 minutes, or until set.
- Remove pan from oven and place on a wire rack. Pour the cool syrup over the hot cake, cover it with a cloth and let it cool in pan. Cut into diamonds or wedges and serve.
Greek Food - Greek Cooking - Greek Recipes by Diane Kochilas //www.dianekochilas.com/